Don is a student of the theories of the late Col John R. Boyd, USAF. He has been involved in a number of publications that use Boyd as a foundation for leader development and personnel management:
He has written two books and is working on one forthcoming in 2008:
- Raising the Bar: Creating and Nurturing Adaptability to Deal with the
Changing Face of War (Washington, DC: Center for Defense Information, December 2006) Note: The United States Military Academy’s Department of Military Instruction now uses Raising the Bar in their decision making and leadership curriculum.
- Path to Victory: America’s Army and the Revolution in Human Affairs
Novato, CA: Presidio Press, 2002)
- Military Recruiting: Finding and Preparing Future Soldiers (Greenwood, CT: Praeger Publishing, October 2008)
He has written a chapter for the book:
- “Culture Wars” Robert Bateman editor, Digital Wars: View from the
Frontlines (Novato, CA: Presidio Press, 1999)
He also has edited:
- Spirit, Blood and Treasure: American Cost of Battle in the 21st
Century (Novato, CA: Presidio Press, 2001)
Don has been quoted as an expert on leader development, personnel management and fourth generation warfare in publications ranging from the Washington Post, Inside the Pentagon, Army Times and The Atlantic Monthly.
Finally, Don has written articles for a number of magazines. His most recent article appeared in the February 2008 issue of The Marine Corps Gazette.