On 1 December 2009 President Obama presented a strategy for Afghanistan.
On 22 November 2009 a contending strategy was posted at: http://www.armigercc.com/index1.html Click on Afghanistan * New. It is suggested that you analyze these contending strategies to determine which is likely to produce the most benefits at the least cost. The key differences are that Withdrawal Strategy from Afghanistan, 22 November 2009 proposes:
1. Decentralization of governance to provinces and districts so that local militias and local police can provide a security shield for the people.
2. Providing a security shield before attempting economic and political development.
3. Seven benchmarks to be achieved during the withdrawal of war-fighting forces.
4. Four tasks to be performed by the Afghans.
5. Encouragement of the inner jihad and the neutralization of the outer jihad.
6. Improving strategic communication to maintain our will and unity while weakening the will and unity of the hirabahists of the Third Jihad.
How can we best advance our national interests?