We are now facing the greatest catastrophic crisis in the history of our nation. If we don’t act now, TODAY, and start the transition, our nation will spiral into chaos. Sadly, the information, the resources (though strained), and the will of the people can make this happen, but it must happen now if we are to preserve the nation and its Constitution.
What is left? LEADERS OF CHARACTER making hard decisions.
What is Congress doing?
Do the Republican and Democratic candidates for President have plans that are detailed and overlap? Are they realistic, or are they the same old: ask little of us, don’t ask us to sacrifice, allow us to continue to live the fantasy of strip malls, unlimited gasoline, and suburbs beyond the horizon (don’t worry, food will come from the Arctic or somewhere long away hauled by big trucks).
What are “We the People,” citizens of this great country doing?
We keep talking about peak oil, mortgage meltdown, drug wars along our Southern borders, overpopulation, as well as the rise of 4th Generation Warfare. I believe right now our nation, which I love dearly (I consider the U.S. Constitution one of the greatest documents), is facing its greatest crisis in a series of catastrophic problems, that cannot wait to be addressed any longer. But what has anyone done so far about our energy crisis? NOTHING. There is a lot of debate about everything, but no moral courage to do anything that requires taking a risk to one’s career and begin leading. Oh, we don’t want to piss anyone off.
What I don’t see on the blogs are many recommendations to how get out of these catastrophic problems. In my opinion, doing as is, that is “drill, drill and drill” according to Senator John “I know how to win wars” McCain, are mere fantasies. Senator Barrak “Jetsetter” Obama meets with the very “experts” that got us in this mess. We need some true leaders to stand up and lead us in the right direction. They are going to tell us things that make us uncomfortable, make us squirm, make us mad, but if they lead by example, I believe most of us will accept their proposals to make the future better for all of us, to provide us options, that will not exist if we continue down the destructive path we are on now.
The greatest problem we have is LEADERSHIP. I keep asking “where have all the leaders gone?” It is up to “We the People” to push aside the “Cheerleaders,” and get some leaders of character. Right now, this time around, I don’t see it, not in our two party, closed political system. Plus, it is funny how Congress has the lowest ratings in history, but I bet not very many Senators or Congressmen lose their jobs in this or any other near term election (Well I hope the likes of Congressman Ron Paul keeps their job. I consider him one of the few strategic leaders this nation has, as well as one media person doing their job, Mr. Lou Dobbs on CNN).
But, if I had my way, this is what I would pursue objectives or aiming points (taking a generation to get too, doing it too fast may do more harm than good),
- Rebuild the passenger rail system (and public transit at all scales) with electrification (run off alternative energy as it comes on line)
- Reinhabit our small cities and small towns, while decanting the suburbs and our supersized metroplexes
- Grow much more of our food locally around these places, regain our bulldozed farmland in the east coast areas that were once suburbs and strip malls
- Rebuild local networks of retail and wholesale trade
- Prepare to resume manufacturing at smaller scales
- Raise interest rates to reward savings (I sent out a great financial study a couple of months ago by a guy from St. Louis University).
- Do not waste alternative energy production on automobile use (encourage everything from walking, biking, trolleys, etc…)
- Encourage and sponsor a Manhattan Project for alternative energy (knock down the regs and special interest groups blockages)
- Start investing heavily in nuclear energy (need to start building plants now-look at France, 80% nuclear)
- Stop encouraging overpopulation, no tax breaks for more than two children (anyone listen to the Diane Rehm show with Paul Ehrlich: “The Dominant Animal” (Island Press) Paul Ehrlick warned of a looming ecological crisis in his1968 best-selling book, “The Population Bomb.” Also, whenever we send food aide, we send family planning as well. As one person noted six months ago “can’t feed don’t breed.”
- Enforce the immigration laws on the books as they are now (also look at France for not enforcing any laws at all and not immersing immigrants into their population, as is occurring here with Latinos). We need to stop acting as the “spillover pond” for the rest of the 3rd World. They need to start being responsible.
- Cut the size of the Federal government by 50% including the defense budget
Just for your information, I am of neither party. I believe both parties are one in the same–all interested in preserving the status quo of power.
Okay, blast away at me; but at least recommend something better if your are going to criticize what I propose. If you like these points, please email them to decision makers.